Friday, August 19, 2016

Happy New Year!!!!

Happy New Year!!!!!!!

So I'm a teacher and right about now it feels like I get two New Years a year--new supplies, a new room (yet again!!), new co-workers, and another chance to start over and fix some things that didn't go quite the way that I planned last year. The thought of making things better actually excites me! That means I get a chance to improve and to grow. That means I get to hone my leadership skills  because there are more challenges waiting for me. My daddy used to tell me there's nothing new under the sun....but that didn't mean that I wouldn't be surprised when I had to deal with things! Each year, I put down the 'old me' and pick up the 'new me', by choice. Each challenging co-worker is an opportunity for me to shine under pressure-not dull under fire. Each upset parent that I deal with is a chance for me to see the view a little differently and appreciate a new perspective.

The world of education is constantly evolving-some even for the better! I'll be honest, I look at some of my co-workers and wonder how they have managed to keep a job and I look at some of my friends who can't get the position that they so desire and would excel in, and I shake my head. I take two things from that: Never take what you have for granted and there's more to the story than I'll ever know.

Each year, I am amazed at the resilience of some of the students that I serve. They don't know what they lack because they've never had....(you fill in the blank). The students that I serve are survivors and so much more. It's my job to bring out the 'so much more'. They made it this far by surviving but I would like to see them thriving. In my mind, success is not measured by the width of the steps that you take but by the mere fact that the steps are being taken! I teach students that some have already written off. My students are my measuring stick for my personal and professional growth. Did they leave me better than they came? Did they leave me with more knowledge and ability? They don't always like me--and that's ok because sometimes the feeling is temporarily mutual--but my vision is for them to remember me as one of the ones who actually took the time and helped them evolve into a positive contributor to society. Some can be reached, and sadly, some can't. I don't make the decision as to which ones do or don't make it--I let them decide.

If you are an educator, or a parent, if you work in an after-school program, drive a school bus, work in a cafeteria, or work with children in any manner, let me first wish you a happy new year! And let me encourage you to see possibilities and not labels in the children that you serve. Smile and laugh--it truly is the best medicine. Encourage others and you will be encouraged. Share your knowledge. Embrace challenges as opportunities for growth. And whatever you do--ALWAYS THRIVE!

3 comments: